The office of Grants and Funded Programs is committed to optimal management of state and federal entitlement grants and procurement of competitive grants in order to support "Stamford Public Schools in preparing each and every student for higher education and success in the 21st Century" in keeping with the vision of the Superintendent, Earl Kim and mandates of our Board of Education.
Although allocations to qualified districts/schools are predetermined based on such formula, a comprehensive annual application process must be followed to receive funding. An accountability system is also in place for each grant, as indicated by the annual report that must be submitted to the State Department of Education for the continuation of the grant. The annual reporting must validate that all funded programs and staff follow each grant’s guidelines and regulations. Local school districts are subjected to two sets of “mandates” that are the basis for federal and state funding.
- State Mandates (summary) reflect the State’s primary responsibility for education
- Federal Mandates (summary) reflect the Federal Government’s responsibility for protecting and providing for students who are disadvantaged, handicapped, limited English speaking, etc.
Grants managed by the Grants and Funded Programs Office are evaluated annually by an external evaluator. Annual fiscal audits are also completed by an external auditor. Several reports related to specific grant mandates are requested and submitted to the Connecticut State Department of Education. These include the following:
- Fact Sheet and annual report to the Priority School District Grant
- Fact Sheet and annual report for the Extended School Hours Grant
- Title I Comparability Report
- Aplus-Web based System for the 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant
- Supplemental Educational Services (SES) report and documentation
- School Choice report and documentation
Supplement Not Supplant
All grant funds must be used to provide additional programs and or staff to improve the quality of education for students. Grant funds and related guidelines are rigid and CANNOT be used to fund what would have been otherwise funded by BoE funds. All programs and/or staff must be supplemental in nature and MAY NOT be used to supplant BoE budget.
|Cheryl Poltrack||Program Director||(203) 977-5271|
|Douglas Fetchin||Assistant Director||(203) 977-5118|
|Marie Underwood||Data Management Specialist||(203) 977-5447|